Chronic illness and mold exposure.
Chronic illnesses are particularly difficult to treat for doctors operating under the modern healthcare system, requiring more thorough medical histories, treatment plans, and patience than many conventional practitioners are able to provide.
Environmental illnesses are not new, however, our society is rapidly contributing to the toxic burden of the body through new chemicals, plastics, artificial ingredients in food and cheap construction materials. Toxic mold is very prevalent in buildings. Molds can grow in a variety of climates and only need 24 to 48 hours of dampness to begin growing. Studies on mold prevalence have determined that about half of all American homes have dampness and mold growth. Mold can also come from our food supply. The United Nations estimates that about 25% of the world's food supply is impacted by mycotoxins, primarily in brains, corn and anything stored for long periods of time. Researchers have found that most mycotoxicosis cases ave occurred from the food supply.
Mold-related illness are a particular concern because, depending on the mold, a person's genetic predisposition and level of exposure, mycotoxins and the other inflammatory toxins present in a water-damaged building can result in many types of inflammatory responses. These include chronic inflammatory response syndrome, mycotic infections, fungal rhinosinusitis, asthma, pulmonary disease, COPD, mitochondrial toxicity, cytotoxicity, cancer, IgE-mediated sensitivity, pneumonia, carcinogenicity, neurotoxicity, immune system suppression or dysfunction, abnormalities in T and B cells, central and peripheral neuropathy and sarcoidosis.
There are also psychological effects of mycotoxins. Patients who are exposed often experience strong cognitive and emotional symptoms. Depression, anxiety and PTSD to name a few. Sometimes patients may even experience brain injury like symptoms due to a hypoactivation of the frontal cortex, constant activation of inflammatory and apoptotic pathways at low levels of exposure in brain capillary endothelial cells, neuronal damage and inflammation. Cognitive impairment, inability to multitask and mood swings are common.
Mycotoxins impact the body in a number of ways including: infections, allergies, autoimmunity, oxidative stress and more. There are many symptoms of mold exposure - the most common ones being extreme fatigue, weakness, headaches, light sensitivity, brain fog, insomnia, morning stiffness and joint pain, tingling or numbness, shortness of breath, chronic cough or sinus congestion, sugar cravings, metallic taste in mouth, vertigo, static shocks, digestive issues - gas bloating, heartburn, diarrhea or constipation, blurred vision or red eyes, balance issues, anxiety, depression, skin rashes, urinary incontinence, decreased libido, frequent infections and chemical intolerance.
Patients often find themselves seeking multiple practitioners and feeling hopeless while trying multiple treatments and medications that aren't helping and often being misdiagnosed with CFS, depression, IBS and more. At Second Nature Care we understand how real toxic mold poisoning is and take the time to test and treat. We have successfully treated patients for toxic mold related illness. Read one of our patients testimonials here: Toxic Mold Recovery
We have wonderful mold exposure treatments at Second Nature. It's important to correct any water leakage and we can make a mold specialist referral to clean up your home. Many of our patients are showing extremely high levels of TGF Beta -1 (transformative growth factor) which can be elevated due to mold exposure and or Lyme-related infections. It's Spring and it's time to take control of your health again.
Do you think you are toxic? Take our quiz to find out