Maybe you should let that turkey with stuffing sit out for hours. Bacteria and viruses may support good health. It's all about balance. Let's talk about viruses. We have been taught to be anti-viral. Viruses can kill us, but a new study revealed that certain eukaryotic viruses can shape our gut immunity and support balance in the gut.
Researchers found a murine norovirus or MNV that replaced the beneficial function of bacterial colonization in the gut. We're all for gut colonization.
It turns out that RNA viruses are found in healthy infants and children and individuals recovering from acute gut infections. The kind of gut infection that comes out from both ends. It was always thought that infection was harmful to us, but that infection may be re-colonizing our gut for a greater GUT GOOD.
The infection helped to maintain better health and was able to heal damaged mucosa. In the study, gut restoration results were seen just after 2 weeks of the MNV infection. The MNV virus repaired the intestinal tissue damaged by inflammation, restored intestinal cell numbers, restored intestinal cell function and normalized tissue architecture. No wonder you feel great after surviving a gastroinfection.
Researchers found that the virus doubled the T-cell levels in the blood and increased the number of antibodies in the gut which normalized the immune response. The MNV virus improved survival in antibiotic-treated mice who received a damaging chemical.
Someday, we might be taking a viral laced probiotics.
From the pediatric front
Children who took any prescribed antibiotics had an increased risk of developing juvenile idiopathic arthritis. More than twice the risk.
Why? Because antibiotics dysregulate the intestinal microbiome. Altered intestinal microbiome is the basis of development of several autoimmune diseases including rheumatoid arthritis and inflammatory bowel disease. The Gut comes first.
Studies show that antibiotic exposure is implicated in chronic disease.
Children need GOOD GUT products for good health. Second Nature patients take GOOD GUT products to keep their immune system strong.
- Empathy and Aggression - The Primitive Brain - Naturopathic Medicine
- Lupus and your Gut - Autoimmune Disease - Naturopathic Medicine
- Your Hypothyroid and Naturopathic Medicine
- Estrogen and Cardiovascular Health - Naturopathic Medicine
- Nature vs. Nuture - Intestinal Microbiome
- Female Cardiovascular Health - Naturopathic Medicine
- Get Rid of your Fears - Naturopathic Medicine - Oxytocin
- Gluten - Gut bacteria rules all so use good quality probiotics
- Travel Jet Lag and Obesity - Probiotics - Good Gut products
- New Pediatric Virus D68 - Good Gut probiotics + immune