You can lift your brain fog with these simple lifestyle changes and dietary tweaks.
Dr. Drew Ramsey, clinical professor of psychiatry, at Columbia stated, "If a patient has certain nutritional deficiencies, it will be difficult for any medications to help until such deficiencies are treated."
Dr. Ramsey is right and that is why Naturopathic doctors are so well trained in clinical nutrition and understand the importance of using it to treat mood disorders. We know that poor diet is associated with cognitive issues, aggression, hyperactivity, tantrums, worry, anxiety and sadness in children. In adults, diets high in saturated fats and refined sugars have a negative impact on brain proteins called neurotrophins which protect us against oxidative stress and promote new brain cells.
Here are some daily tips to follow to ensure better brain function and reduce the long term risks of Alzheimer's and dementia
1. Take your high dose probiotic before you have your first cup of coffee or tea.
2. Avoid all trans-fats and reduce the amount of saturated fats.
3. Staples in your diet should include: vegetables, legumes (beans, peas, lentils) and fruits. Some clinicians encourage whole grains, but clinically I have seen the damage that grains have created in the gut and I have patients take a grain-free digestive holiday for weeks or months.
4. Vegan or meat eater, make sure you test for and take adequate B12. Oral dose is around 1000 mcg/daily.
5. Choose multivitamins without iron and copper as these are seen as hidden nutritional culprits for Alzheimer's.
6. Avoid all products that contain aluminum - cookware, antacids, baking powder, deodorant, vaccinations, etc.
7. Exercise. Hit the gym or go outside and get 45 minutes of cardiovascular exercise at least three times per week. Most studies highlight the fact that we need exercise 5 - 7 days per week.
In addition to lifestyle changes, Second Nature patients take XYMOGEN's Brain Sustain, Vitamin K and ProbioMax DF every day to prevent and eliminate brain fog.
For those who have chronic disease brain fog, there are I.V. options. Call me to discuss.