Zonulin is a protein that when it binds to its receptor it leads to a break-down of tight gap junctions in the intestines. Like a thrill-seeking outrageous underage teenager it slips past the gut bouncers at the intestinal nightclub and does a wild dance in the gut lining that tears down the body's defenses and opens all the doors to inflammation from food proteins, environmental toxins and unfriendly microbes. Zonulin increases in numbers and the gut looks like a trashed house party.
High zonulin is the hallmark of "leaky gut" and is a contributing factor in the development of celiac disease, autoimmune disorders, insulin dependent diabetes, multiple sclerosis and rheumatoid arthritis.
High zonulin is an early marker of several diseases including: brain cancers, breast cancer, lung adenocarcinoma, ovarian cancer, pancreatic cancer, schizophrenia, ankylosing spondylitis and chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy.
How can you test for zonulin? At Second Nature CT, we use DunWoody and Genova Labs to check zonulin, diamine oxidase, histamine and DAO:Histamine ratios. I'll explain diamine oxidase and histamine in my next blog.
How can you treat or reverse high zonulin?
- Remove gluten, grains and other inflammatory foods to reduce inflammation.
- Immunoglobulins block the effect of zonulin. GOOD GUT Probiotics + Immune blocks zonulin from releasing and seals tight junctions in the gut. Immunoglobulins wall off endotoxins and prevent "die off reactions."
- Probiotics strengthen the mucosal lining and balance the gut immune responses.
- I recommend GOOD GUT Repair to rebuild the gut lining and reduce inflammation.
- GOOD GUT Detox is a medical food that contains amino acids and phytochemicals necessary to support the liver, immune and gut functions.
- Get a series of colonics