Ozonotherapy is the use of medical grade ozone, a highly reactive form of pure oxygen, to create a curative response in the body. The body has the potential to renew and regenerate itself. When it becomes sick it is because this potential has been blocked. The reactive properties of ozone stimulate the body to remove many of these impediments thus allowing the body to do what it does best – heal itself. Ozone is not a medication per se, rather ozone signals the body to respond appropriately.
Ozonotherapy has been and continues to be used in European clinics and hospitals for over fifty years. Ozone was in regular medical usage in the United States before 1885 as reported in the Florida Medical Association. Ozone predates the 1906 Pure Food and Drug Act and the FDA. This means that ozone for medical usage is grandfathered in US regulations and held perfectly legal for use without censure. With the advent of antibiotics, ozone therapy faded from routine use in the US. However, in the early 1980’s, ozone was re-introduced to North America and has been increasingly used since. When ozone is injected into the bloodstream, it immediately reacts with any available oxidizable substrate (called peroxidation), most notably the lipids of cell membranes.The lipid peroxidation products created by ozone include hydrogen peroxide, which is the mechanism by which viruses, bacteria, and fungi are killed by immune cells (macrophages). In addition, other highly reactive substances are formed that promote overall detoxication of chemicals, toxic metals, metabolic waste, etc. As such, systemic medical ozone-oxygen has been found useful in various diseases because it:
- Kills bacteria, fungi and viruses at lower concentrations than chlorine (1 molecule of ozone = 3,000 to 10,000 molecules of chlorine) and kills 3500 times faster than chlorine.
- Oxidizes toxins such as phenolics (poisonous compounds of methanol and benzene), pesticides, detergents, chemical manufacturing wastes and aromatic compounds more rapidly and effectively than chlorine, yet without chlorine’s harmful residues (trihalomethanes, etc.).
- Activates the immune response system.
- Improves cellular utilization of oxygen that reduces ischemia in cardiovascular and cerebrovascular diseases. Improved micro-circulation and reduced stacking of blood cells (rouleaux) has been reported. As such ozone has been reported to be significantly helpful in heart disease, poor circulation, stroke, etc. and many of the infirmities of aging.
- It causes the release of growth factors that stimulate damaged joints and degenerative discs to regenerate. Increases fibroblastic activity to help expedite repair. When used as HMAHOT mentioned later, it has been suggested that ozone releases and activates stem cells to repair and rejuvenate tissues throughout the body.
- Reduces or eliminates many cases of chronic pain through its action on A1 adenosine pain receptors.
- Published papers have demonstrated SOT healing effects on interstitial cystitis, chronic hepatitis, herpes infections, dental infections, diabetes, dementia, Parkinson’s Disease, disc herniation, arthritis, and macular degeneration.
How is medical grade ozone made? Medical ozone is made by passing pure oxygen gas through a crystal tube through which an electrical spark is directed. The electrical energy breaks apart the oxygen molecules as described above. What emerges from the other side is a mixture of pure oxygen and ozone. It is critical that only medical grade pure oxygen is used and not an oxygen concentrator. We use a state of the art self-calibrating German-made unit with full certification to generate ozone for systemic ozone therapy.
What are some of the most effective way of getting ozone into the body? Since ozone dissolves rapidly in fluids, ozone can be used therapeutically in a variety of ways:
- Topically - onto and through wet/damp skin, sinuses, ear canals, teeth, oral lesions, etc.
- Rectal Insufflation - through the colonic mucosa by rectal insufflation. This method is extremely effective.
- Prolozone Injection - directly into tissues such as joints, scars, trigger points, fibromyalgia sites, lipomas, etc.
- Intravenously - either directly (DIV), bubbling through salt water (saline), or by injection of ozone into blood that has been withdrawn from the body and then re-injecting it.
Call us at (845) 358-8385 to schedule a free 15 minute Q&A session with Isadora Guggenheim. You can also download the Ozone resource below: