And if you do the Hokey Pokey you know that the hip bone is connected to the thigh bone and the thigh bone is connected to the ankle bone. I have several patients who suffer with heel pain and plantar plate issues.
Did you know?
Your heels are your shock absorbers and they absorb 110% of your body's weight during walking and 200% of your body's weight during running. No wonder runners have plantar fascitis, heel pain and bone spurs.
Overuse is the most common cause of plantar fascitis in athletes. Collagen breaks down and you get repetitive microtears in the plantar fascia.
When there is an inflammatory response to overuse, the plantar fascia can double in thickness. Heel pain can also be caused by injury to the tibial nerve roots higher in L4-5 and S2-4.
Here are some questions to answer to find your root cause of heel pain:
- Do you stand on your feet at work? Do you have pain on one side or both or is the pain worse on one side?
- Did the pain come one day without any trauma or did you start a new exercise program with running or walking? Did you recently gain weight?
- Is your pain worse in the morning with your first steps? Is it worse after resting in a chair or getting out of a car?
- Does the pain improve with walking and stretching, but get worse if you walk or stand too much?
- Does the pain cause you to limp?
- Have you gotten multiple steroid injections? Do you have fat pad atrophy?
- Do you experience lower back pain?
- If you have bilateral heel pain and pain at the tendon insertions - do you have fatigue, low-grade fevers, multiple joint pain or inflammatory bowel disease? You may have Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lyme, Reiter syndrome or Behcet syndrome or another autoimmune condition. We check patients for all of these conditions because treatments are different.
- Have you lost your appetite and lost weight or have pain at night? This can be caused by cancer.
I'll recommend the best anti-inflammatory natural medicines from DFH Inflammatone. You can ice the area after your prolozone injections for the first 48 hours.